Monday, January 31, 2011

Process & Discovery : JENGA 1.0







Within three spaces, my assignment was to capture the concept of "flow" using a unique kit of parts. The spaces were as follows:

-22' x 22' ( 2 columns, one wall )
-22' x 32' - 4'' (2 walls, one column)
-11' x 32' -4'' ( 2 solids that would not engage with the walls )



To start off, within the word flow, I thought of great movement without the need for walls blocking off circulation. I did have a kit of parts though so my thought began to move towards how I could accomplish a flowing space without halting circulation with the kit of parts assigned. In my own design process, I like to start off with a mixture of sketching and precedent research. Inspiration is everywhere if your eyes are open to it. In fact, I found the most inspiration just looking up the different definitions of flow. With this I abstracted the literal definitions into concepts of space. For the 22' x 22' square space, I choose to go in the path of the flowing procession from source to source. The 22' x 32' - 4'' space derived from the concept of rising and the advancing, translated then into a certain capture and release. For the narrow 11' x 32'-4'' space, I decided there would be a stream- like element to it...derived from the comment "A constant stream of humanity flowed by".
Right from the start, I did not want to simply cut off sections of the spaces to fit in the different activities of bathing, living, and eating. In order to create a flowing space, ceiling drops were the route I took to generate a different feeling from one space to the next, to create enclosure, and in one space, the idea of capture and release. Using the 2 walls and one column for the 22 x 32' space I first started playing around in my sketches with rises and drops within areas i thought should be more private such as bathing and sleeping, thinking of using the walls to shelter bathing. (sketchbook pic)
The first sketch model had curvilinear walls and a column that placed in a way one had to weave in and out of the space. I decided to throw out the idea of curved walls in this space and then worked to create the sketch model below which is closest to my final design. The first ceiling drop would be as one entered the space in a kitchen area a 3' space was made between the countertop and a column to allow passage, although I eventually pushed the column back to the door way to enforce the "capture" in entering the space, along with guide the user directly to the kitchen area with out room to venture into the living/meditative room immediately. This is shown in the model directly below.
The ceiling drops guide and help the occupant to navigate the space through levels of privacy. For example, the ceiling angles down where a toilet is placed. The bedroom is the second lowest ceiling drop, and the living, meditative area (lined by all the windows) eventually takes form in a low angle. The space in between the ten foot wall between the kitchen and bed/bath area and the two foot wide storage walls is a 3' unofficial doorway where one experiences the full 14' ceiling height before entering in the more enclosed bedroom.



















22'x 32'-4''






















11' x 32' -4''




























No comments:

Post a Comment