Thursday, February 18, 2010

Vertical Moments of Light


A sketch-up rendering of my model. 




My project: different forms of filtered light, through perforation via the card board grate and levels of opacity via the velum path way intersecting the composition.


Sketchbook version.


As neighboring frames, a classmate and I both incorporated velum to attempt some flow between the frames and "moments of light". 





Our neighborhood windows..



As always I begun with a test model. Helps to strategize what will and will not work.






This project instructed us to create two light effects using cardboard and up to two different materials. The installation also had to stand alone within the 5 inch deep window frame without adhesives. In order to achieve such description I perforated the edges of my display so I could fold them back into the frame, fitted in just right. I used velum to filter the pathway I cut out, which I thought created the two different light effects within a generalized category of filtered light. Challenges ensued greatly with the limited time restraint I had, given I was out of town the weekend and another workday before the project was due. I believe my final product came out well given this constraint but could of definitely used extra time to incorporate better design and craft.  With limited time comes limited models though, an aspect of this particular project which would of been nice have more of to develop my ideas more. Had I been given said time I might of added gradual change in size within the perforated strips...an idea that came later. I am still relatively satisfied with the product given my laborious work on a limited time constraint..again a learning lesson on how life can fuss with work/play ( i consider studio a mix). =)

No comments:

Post a Comment