Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Storytelling and Composition





For my design Visualization class we started out the semester with an array of interesting assignments. The first one called for us to create a two page layout displaying 5 illuminated objects having some form of value, including a quick description. We were also allowed to use pen and one colored pencil of of choice. Since my theme (cheesy, I know) was "off the beaten path" I added brown accents to my objects to make them appear a bit more "beaten"...along with a path that travels along the spread. The path served as the main focus of the layout, the words were important as well but serves more as accents much like the brown pencil i added does. The text is a curvy font that winds in and out at the ends of each letter, though the first letter of some of the descriptions is blown up like that in a fairy tale storybook with all its filled in designs that I took note of and incorporated in my spread. Each of the objects has varying importance but they all have some form of meaning to me as they came across my path.






"All I ever needed to know about composition...
I learned from flipping through the pages of magazines"
The next assignment was to tell a story of our first week back at school in the form of a magazine layout. I choose a spread from the "Dwell" Dec/Jan issue. The left side of the spread located as the fountain outside the school cafeteria, the girl came out looking a bit rigid and I added "brace yourself" at the bottom. The other pictures on the opposite page display several items that I associate with the beginning of a new semester.


4 comments:

  1. I really like how you added a grassy background in your sketch of the fountain. It added both color and texture to your layout. I also enjoy your choice of lettering; it's both easy to read and fits the scene of "coming back to school".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely adore the first sketch you did - following your path. I think your layout is fantastic and pleasing to look at. Great job on your lettering too!
    I saw your magazine layout prior to you adding the grass and I think it really came out well! The addition of the grass really makes it pop more and I think it was a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your first sketch...amazing! I love the 'off the beaten path...' idea. It's such a great way to tie everything together, and you executed it SO well! Great job! With your magazine layout...I really like your lettering and I'm glad you kept to the 3 boxes. I think it's a really cool choice of layout. You're so talented, keep it up :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. To start I think you did a great job taking the layout you chose and re-doing it in your own way. I though the subtlety of the color was really pleasing to the eye. Great Job on the lettering too

    ReplyDelete