Sunday, November 8, 2009

sketchbook brainstorming, first sketch model, second model before final product





Sketchbook brainstorming...I decided I wanted to make a lantern with a marmalade-like glow. Using yellow and orange acetate  I planned to create scales in a pattern that would allow some pure light to peak through, casting interesting light patterns on the ceiling.



SKETCH MODEL

In no way a final. A sketch model which helped me in finding out what my materials can and cannot do...apparently acetate doesn't like to bend. First trials can be very helpful in figuring out these sort of things




SECOND MODEL


My luminaire casting its marmalade-y color of light on a dry erase board in a dark room.


The star-like light pattern.



These two images above and below are examples of the kind of light I was aiming for.


Using bamboo skewers, I created a hexagonal frame with two rows, which added up to 12 faces. I added triangles of varying sizes so the luminaire would cast light patterns onto a surface, these triangles were a combination of a layer of orange and yellow acetate and a film of tracing paper (to dilute the light). As you can see I did not cover up the top row, but this nakedness developed a harsher light when held at different angles so I decided my final product will conceal the bulb entirely. A little bit of process..

1 comment:

  1. BEAUTIFUL CASSIE!
    From a fellow Spartan--it is "acetate"!
    (Actually a textile word! Good thing since I know NOTHING about art except how to appreciate it!)
    Your lantern is inspired and lovely--especially during this autumn-time of year when that rich color speaks of the Earth.
    Love to you,
    Mrs. Stonebraker

    ReplyDelete