Wednesday, September 23, 2009

JOINERY


Initial ideas for the box with one open end...dovetail joints were an intitial possibility. This sketch shows some of the process of where I started at. 


The sketchbook doodle that emulates my final model.











Our assignment for my environmental design class was to suspend a bristol board cube (with one open end) four inches above an 8x8 base, using joinery for both aspects. After experimenting with a dovetail joint of sorts before actually constructing the box I realized that bristol board is a bit too thin of a material to join the edges together. I was inspired by a box that had no gradual change in the inflated box joint that you can see on my final model's edges. I thought that bringing varying sizes of straws in a repeated pattern that gradually got smaller for the cube's support would tie the two objects together in an example to joinery. 

1 comment:

  1. Very nice pictures of your objects. Don't for get to include process sketches and models. Seeing them will help us to grade your work.

    Kuniko

    ReplyDelete